Assuming and presuming vs. knowing



We have a tendency to presume as well as assume. We might enter a discussion, and based on our personal history, education, and opinions, we might reach a conclusion on the subject matter even though we have not yet heard all there is to hear. There might still be some information out there that will show the entire subject matter in a different light. Still, we might jump to conclusions and assume how other people think, presume how the outcome of a project turns out on the basis of previous projects, or some other ideas that have not been stated yet. When we presume we have factual evidence from similar previous cases, what the outcome most likely will be, however, it has not yet factually been proven in that subject matter. Assuming is just hasty thinking that has little or no evidentiary support.

In my twenties, I felt the need to be knowledgeable. I believed that not knowing made me incompetent and unprofessional, especially after finishing my studies. I felt the need to make presumptions and also, unfortunately, some assumptions as soon as possible because I thought that made me look more competent. If only I had known then that years later, I still would not know everything, and I happily tell that to others. I really find it better to listen to all sides of the story (if possible), investigate the evidence, and then, after careful thinking, make up my mind. Not jumping to conclusions by presuming to know things.

Embracing this uncertainty and not knowing has been liberating, allowing me to approach the world with an open mind and a willingness to learn. Listening to others gives them a chance to share their views and to be heard; that is the easiest way of preventing unnecessary arguments and fights that may come from assuming things. I am delighted that I do not have to carry the weight of certainty and knowing all the facts. This freedom allows me to embrace the ever-changing nature of the world. Everything in this world lives, evolves, and changes. There is always more to learn and experience.


Comments

Most viewed